Tuesday, January 18, 2011

Digital Nation

I am half way through Digital Nation and I am compelled to push the pause button and blog about my thoughts. Up until now, I have been able to stay away from social media sites despite the number of family members and friends who are using it. This week my mother went into surgery for something very severe. I determined the best way to keep everyone posted with her progress was to create a facebook account. So in addition to creating this blog, a twitter account, I am now on facebook. I lost the social media battle. It was amazing to me to see how many people used this as their lifeline. They were on constantly. However, I also found out the conversations I was missing. I know so much more about my immediate family's daily lives than I did a short 48 hours ago. For now, I am not sure how much facebook will be part of my life after my mom is done recovering. We are anticipating a 6 month recovery so maybe I will be so addicted, my use won't change?

By the way, I quickly learned how to shut off the alerts to my e-mail when someone posted something on my facebook page. It was overwhelming me. I think I got more facebook related e-mail in an hour than I usually do in a whole day!!

Back to the movie ~

No comments:

Post a Comment